Thursday, February 6, 2014

Seven Quick Takes #1 Or "Boxes, Cloth, and Demons"

Well, friends, it's Friday! My first Quick Takes (hosted by Jen at Conversion Diary-another of my favorites!)
http://www.conversiondiary.com
Thanks, Jen! 

-1-
Today also happens to be a Familia day! Familia is a program for "Mothers of Young Children." Each year, we read a church document on motherhood, marriage, or femininity; this year's is JPII's Familiaris Consortio. We meet every two weeks to discuss, and while, like every group, we started off slow, I'm really happy with the way we're coming together this semester! It's so nice to have a supportive group of women for whom faith is a strong priority.

-2-
Shopping addiction
You know the feeling when the doorbell rings and you open the door to see that fabulous brown package? It's kind of my favorite. I might have a spending problem. As much as I try to only buy what is absolutely necessary for my family's well-being, there are just so many fun and shiny things that I just KNOW will make our lives healthier/easier/better. I'm a sucker, even without real advertising. Maybe it's my great imagination. I create my own mental advertising! Catered specifically to my weaknesses, of course. 

-3-
Cloth transition
This week has just happened to be a big one in our "natural/sustainability" journey! My mom helped cut up t-shirt scraps for Josh's wipes, and we had enough left over to start family cloth! (If you don't know... don't ask.) We have some "unpaper" towels and reusable plastic baggies on their way to us, AND the fabric for our cloth napkins is washed and ready to go!

-4-
Out of groceries
A plus of the "freezer cooking" fad comes with weather like this! I planned to go to the grocery store this week, buuuut it's been pretty yucky out there. So we've started cleaning out the freezer. Usually I use the slow cooker meals for days when my babysitting boys are here, but they were nice to have for snow days, too! Cilantro Lime Chicken- two thumbs up!

-5-
Surprise vacation
Speaking of my babysitting boys, apparently I have two weeks off! Their family goes to Florida every winter, and we hadn't really communicated about it well until last week. I've got all kinds of project ideas! (Probably too many; I'll need to pray for realistic expectations!) I'm open to suggestions, but here are a few:
•replacing the elastic in some of Josh's diapers
•working on my t-shirt quilt (VERY in progress... but I took a few months off for Christmas projects
•make our cloth napkins
•refill our freezer! (including lunches for Bryant)
•organize our basement- it's a scary place...
•maybe work ahead on Bradley and PSR plans! But, really, how likely is that?

-6-
"Style and the SAHM"
http://thisfelicitouslife.wordpress.com/2013/03/09/style-and-the-stay-at-home-mom-the-quest-begins/
This link leads you to the beginning of a series that became a project for me this week. For those of you who get my Facebook updates, I posted one about dressing like a hobo. Just to prove I wasn't exaggerating, my dad was surprised that I was "already dressed"... at 9:30 this morning when he stopped by to visit. So the good news is a change has happened!
Thanks to the inspiration of the above post, I have a trash bag full of clothing in our hallway to rid myself of. I'll probably share more about my "minimalistic momiform" in it's own post soon, but just know I'm excited to no longer be dressing like a slob!

-7-
"A Screwtape Letter for the Unappreciated Mom"
http://www.organizinglifewithlittles.com/2014/01/26/for-the-unappreciated-mom/
I ADORE this post. Many wonderful people write about things moms need to watch out for: not spending time with your husband, not taking time for prayer and to rest... but none of them have hit home for me the way this one does. Every word was written just for me. 

And it's a good note and reminder on which to begin the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment