Sunday, May 10, 2015

Motherhood is easier than I expected...

To new (or struggling) moms, on Mothers' Day.

(I know, I know. Three whole Mothers' Days... I must be an expert already. :P But here's my developing philosophy and, hopefully, wisdom I have been blessed with so far.)


Motherhood is the most instinctive, rewarding thing I have ever done. Following those instincts (while requiring selflessness you never knew possible) makes the experience so much simpler. Go to your baby! Nurse your baby! (Again.) Hold your baby! Sleep close to your baby! If there's even the slightest possibility, sacrifice, more than you thought you could, to be home with them as much as you can while they are young. Society says that everything else you do is more important than being a mother; don't believe that lie.

God knew what He was doing when He created babies and their needs. You are NOT spoiling them, and they are NOT manipulating you.  God did not provide parents to "train" their children. We are here to allow them to grow into themselves, and to guide them by our example. (Maybe the hardest part.)

Do your best to be the unique version of motherhood your children need. They will help you (even though it might not feel quite like that's what they're doing...).

Listen to your mommy intuition, and trust your child. There is nothing more comforting at the end of the day than to know you made your choices based on what you believed was best for your family, regardless of the societal norm and others' opinions. If you're questioning something "everybody does," research it! Find peace in information that supports your hunches.

Even better than information is support. Seek out moms who are making similar choices, and moms who have "been there, done that." Having real, live people (even if they're virtual conversations) of whom to ask questions is *invaluable.* Knowing you are not alone in your struggles and insecurity makes everything much more bearable.

...Now, I'm not quite sure how to close this, because it was originally just supposed to be a facebook status, but I kept typing. Oh, well. Happy Mothers' Day!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah! You won the Maple Leaf planner in my advent giveaway, but I haven't heard from you. Please email me ASAP at catholicallyear@gmail.com or I'll figure you are all set planner-wise and give it to someone else.

    ReplyDelete