Friday, May 3, 2013

"Crunchy"

I recently came across this word in one of our natural childbirth videos, and now I'm hearing it everywhere! I used to call it hippie, and still do sometimes, jokingly, around friends who probably wouldn't recognize "crunchy." If you're one of those people, crunchy refers to people who make natural and/or eco-friendly lifestyle choices.

I'll be honest, our- okay, mostly my- crunchy choices come more from priorities of health and financial stability, rather than concern for the environment. Maybe eventually I'll be more convicted in that area. Bryant is supportive, but he's kind of along for the ride.
I'd say at this point we're beginner or first tier crunchy. Most of the things I'd consider most crunchy about our household have to do with Baby Joshua/parenting. Starting with NFP! I'd consider Natural Family Planning kind of crunchy, considering all the inauthentic options, although of course our motivation for it is more on the moral/spiritual realm. The same with the Bradley Husband-Coached Natural Childbirth Method: we started the classes because I had an emotional desire for a natural birth, not because I necessarily wanted to avoid drugs at all costs. As the classes went, and I became more educated, my motivation widened and deepened, but that's another soapbox! Now, there are all the parenting choices. Cloth diapering, ecological breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping... things that are normal in other cultures, but foreign to us. (I could go on a soapbox on each of those, too, but for now, we'll just make a list.)

Now, I could go either way at this point: all the things I wish we did, or some of the small things we are already doing... I guess I'll start with the worst one: We don't recycle! Gasp! Sooo not crunchy. I used to in Emporia, but since we moved here, I haven't found out where to drop things off and such. Terrible excuse, I know. But I suppose it can go on the short-term goal list.
  1. Start recycling again
  2. Make laundry detergent
  3. Find less scary alternatives to typical household cleaners
Long-term goals... I don't know. I have this huge mind block that says "Buying organic food is too expensive and sometimes unnecessary!" Really, I'd say my goal would be to have a garden and chickens, as much as buying organic produce. To add to the short-term goals, though, we already have a bread machine and pasta maker. I just happen to have never used them yet. 
  1. Continue improving food choices (including less going out)
Here's another shocker for you: I still don't know the difference between reducing and reusing! But I do try to avoid plastic water bottles, and I'm good about my reusable shopping bags... donate to Goodwill, shop at garage sales... all the little things that (kind of) add up. But really, who wastes things on purpose?

Anyway, I guess my question is (to borrow from the Sweet Cheeks facebook post): Do you consider yourself crunchy? What are some of your goals for crunchiness?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah!
    I could stand with you on all of your soap boxes! Cloth diapers, baby wearing and bed sharing. Even though I didn't get it this time, I am a huge supporter of natural childbirth, and even though I don't have a son, I am EXTREMELY against circumcision. I actually found some information on what the Catholic Church teaches on it, surprisingly it is a no-no! I am looking at natural home cleaners, I "no poo" and am working out my oil cleansing method right now too. :) Breastfeeding may not have worked for us this time, but since then I have learned SO much from my Kansas City Crunchy moms group on FB and elsewhere. Who knew motherhood could open you to such a new way of thinking!
    Stephanie Lathrum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah!
    Jaci and I have been working on this stuff for almost a year and a half now. It has dramatically improved both of our health. I even work at a healthy food store.

    The most important thing I've learned is that the best thing you can do is pay attention to your body and your mood. You can learn A LOT just by paying attention to how you feel. Dark chocolate and oats both give me headaches. I figured out recently that a protein powder I have makes me irritable. I am friendly and in a better mood when I eat pickles (no, seriously). I become useless after I eat out at restaurants. Books and blogs can help you figure out what to try, but the final word should be what actually makes you healthiest.

    Oh, and speaking of blogs, Jaci recommended I share this with you: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/

    ReplyDelete